As I mentioned for the last Handmade Monday I have been making some Nintendo DS covers. I based the cover on the same design as the kindle cover I have talked about previously. I have used more funky fabrics to appeal to children and have used a flap and velcro fastening to make it easier to open.
Here’s how you can make a cover that looks like this
You will need the following:
Fabric – patterned (outer) and plain (inner)
Velcro (1 inch square)
Scissors/rotary cutter and mat
Iron and ironing board
I have used a 1/4″ seam throughout the tutorial.
1. Cut out inner and outer fabric and wadding, all 7″ x 4.5″, 2 pieces for each.
2. Cut out 2 pieces of outer fabric to make up your flap, each 2″ x 4″
3. Place each piece of wadding next to wrong side of outer fabric, then place right sides of fabric together. Pin the pile of wadding and fabric together (both wadding pieces should be on the outside, sandwiching the fabric which is right sides together). Pin together your inner fabric (right sides together).
4. Sew round the 3 sides of the outer. Turn right sides out. Place the loop piece of Velcro in the centre of the outer fabric, 1/2″ from the top and sew on.
5. Place hook piece of Velcro on right side of flap 1/2″ from the bottom and sides. Sew on.
6. Place right sides of flap pieces together. Sew down the long edges an the short edge next to Velcro. Turn ride sides out.
7. Sew down the 2 short sides of the inner fabric.
8. Position flap on outer piece on the opposite side to the loop piece of Velcro, ensure the Velcro on the flap is facing up. Leave 1/2″ of the raw edge of fabric sticking out of top, pin in place.
9. Place the inner fabric over the outer fabric, right sides facing. Make sure the side seams are aligned. Pin in place.
Sew around the top of the fabric.
10. Turn right sides out, press the inner fabric so that it sits nicely inside outer. Top stitch around top
11. Pull out inner, fold in 1/4″ of open edge and sew together. Push inner into outer and press.
I hope you have found the tutorial easy to follow. Let me know what you think if you make a cover and send me some photos!
I’m linking up with Handmade Monday over at Handmade Harbour, go check out what everyone else has been up to!