After a few weeks off from sewing it has felt so good getting back behind the wheel! I have a craft fair planned in June and with making an apron in the after school kids club, it gave me a few ideas.
I decided to make an apron, specifically designed for use in the craft fair, with pockets to hold my phone, business cards, pens and money. However the pocket for holding my money is on the back of the apron, making it a little bit more secure.
I have written this tutorial using measurements to fit someone who is a size 12/14.
To make the apron you will need the following:
Fabric – heavy cotton (the back of the apron and pockets can be in the same colour fabric or different)
Bias binding – 2 pieces measuring 10″ long
Webbing 1.5″ x 60″
1. Cut out main fabric pieces – one for front and one for back, each 22″ x 13″
2. Cut out pocket pieces – one for front and one for back, each 11″ x 7″
3. Pin unfolded edge of the bias binding, right sides together, to the top of each pocket. Sew using a 1/4 seam. Now fold over the bias binding, encasing the raw edge, then sew on the right side of the fabric, approx 1/4″ from the edge of the bias binding, to attach bias binding to pocket. Fold over 1/4″ of the other 3 sides and press.
4. Pin pocket to what will be the back piece of the apron. I positioned the pocket 4″ down from the top edge and roughly 6″ from the sides.
5. Using a 1/4 seam attach the pocket to the main piece of fabric.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 with the other pocket and front piece of fabric.
7. With the ‘front’ piece of fabric, measure out your ‘pockets’. I made one pocket 3″ wide and another 2 1/4″ therefore giving me 3 pockets. Mark out the pockets using a ruler and tailors chalk to ensure you get straight lines. Sew using the lines as a guide.
8. Place fabric pieces right sides together. Sew using a 1/2″ seam along sides and bottom. Trim corners and turn right sides out, press.
9. Fold over ends of webbing and sew to stop any fraying. Fold webbing in half and press using iron. Pin in place over raw edge of top of apron.
Sew in place using 1/4″ seam.
I will use the apron with the large money pocket at the back. However it can be reversible depending on what you want to use it for!
I hope you have enjoyed the tutorial. Let me know how you get on if you give it a go!
I have linked up to the Handmade Monday website, please pop over there and see what everyone has been up to.