As many of you who follow me on twitter will know, I have been slowly making a Tilda doll. My obsession started after seeing a few tweets from other people who had made them and I really wanted to try one myself. It took me a while to decide which book to buy, but I settled on ‘Tilda’s Studio’.
There are so many beautiful things to make in the book, and I wanted to make everything! However I eventually decided to make the ‘studio angel’. I ordered all the bits I needed from Puddle Crafts who sell all the Tilda fabrics and supplies.
First you have to make the doll itself, using skin coloured fabric and white pieces for the bodice. You also have to make the arms and legs, then turn them inside out so you can then stuff them. This proved to be the most difficult part, as the ends of the legs and arms are quite small, therefore very time consuming pulling the fabric the right way round. It also resulted in much swearing and several tweets to find out the best way to do it! I found it easiest to use a pair of tweezers to pull the fabric through.
Once I had made the doll and attached her arms and legs to the body, it was time to make the pantaloons and skirt. This bit wasn’t too difficult and allowed me to destress from the earlier traumas!
I made the skirt to the sizing in the book, however I think my doll is a lot thinner than the one in the book as the skirt was big enough to fit 2 dolls! I made some adjustments and with a few tucks here and there the skirt was attached. I added some pink ric rac to the bottom of the skirt to jazz it up a little! I also had to make a piece to cover where the arms attached to the body.
Now came the bit I was dreading – assembling the hair! I had to do some weird voodoo thing with pins and then wrapped the ‘hair’ around the pins. The dolls normally have bunches of hair at the side of the head, however this was far to complicated for me to do! I just had to then sew the hair in place, and give her some eyes and she was completed. I decided on not putting on the wings to make her an angel, I guess I can always add them at a later date.
The only thing she needs now is a name..suggestions welcome!
I am really pleased with how she has ended up. I have to confess, she was meant to be a present for someone, but I have become quite attached to her and can’t quite part with her! I really enjoyed making her and can’t wait to try some more projects from the book!
Please pop over the Wendy’s blog to see what everyone else has been making this week!