After a few requests here is the recipe for the carrot cake I made earlier in the week. This makes enough for 12 cupcakes. I have also used the recipe to fill a 7 inch square cake tin and baked in oven for approx 40mins. It is quite a healthy recipe (without the frosting!!).
200g plain wholemeal flour
1 tbsp ground mixed spice
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
200g soft dark brown sugar
150ml sunflower oil
Zest 1 large orange
2 tbsp orange juice
2 large eggs
200g grated carrots
45g ground almonds
45g walnut halves
200g cream cheese
Zest of 2 oranges
1 tsp orange juice
Sifted icing sugar (adding to taste so may need up to 100g)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. NB oven temp for fan assisted oven. Soak sultanas in hot water for approx 10mins
- Mix together flour, spices, bicarb and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl mix together sugar, oil, zest, juice and eggs and whisk until lighter in colour and frothy.
- Fold in flour mixture and then add sultanas (drained) carrots, almonds and walnuts.
- Put mixture into cupcake cases and put in oven for approx 20mins or until inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Mix together all ingredients for frosting, adding small amounts of icing sugar until tastes sweet and yummy!
- When cupcakes are cold add frosting to top.
- Invite friends round, put kettle on and share out your lovely cupcakes!