Welcome to another Handmade Monday and the last of my projects for my 30 day challenge, where has that time gone?! As I mentioned in last weeks post, my last project is taking longer than I thought so I can only show you where I am up to so far. I have been following a tutorial from Moda Bake shop on how to make a Floor cushion using a jelly roll. I have adapted the instructions slightly as I only had 20 strips in my roll to use, after cutting them diagonally in half I am slowly piecing them all together and have done about a 1/4 of the cushion so far.
Two weeks ago joined the Liverpool Sewing Club, giving me the chance to meet other lovely sewers and also have 3 hours of uninterrupted sewing time. I have therefore decided my Jelly roll cushion can be my take along project. I think if it wasnt brown and in more interesting colours I would enjoy doing it a little bit more!
In other news I have been busy creating lots of lovely things for my Christmas swaps. I have almost finished getting things together for the decoration swap with Amy and I have made 7 out of 12 things for the advent swap with Emma. I am going to pop along to the affordable vintage fair with Nic at the end of the month and hope to get a few more bits and pieces then. Would love to share with you all the things that I have been making for the swaps but as it’s all a secret you’ll have to wait till they both open all their parcels in December! i have also been busy making bits for my stall for CRAFTfest at the end of November. I hope to get some bits onto my Folksy page soon!
Why don’t you go and see what everyone else has been up to for handmade Monday over at Wendy’s blog.
The lovely Maeri at the Make and Do Studio gave me a lot of fabric that she was no longer going to use. Determined to try and use each and every bit of the fabric I decided to make some cushions for our living room. Using the skills I got from my first Make and Do class I made 3 envelope cushion covers using a bright red floral fabric. I even splurged out and got some feather cushion pads to give them a lovely feel to snuggle up to in winter! I am rather pleased with the results…
About a month ago I went to a course at the Make and Do studio where I learnt how to make a roman blind. It was so easy I couldn’t wait to choose some fabric and get sewing! I popped to Abakhans and got some great scotty dog fabric and I ordered all the other bits I needed online from Merrick and Day. Here’s how I got on!
I followed the instructions given to us by Anne of Sophie’s Soft Furnishings. They were so simple it didn’t take long before it was taking shape.
The main thing I found difficult was coping with all the fabric! I added the blind tape and it was almost finished!
I had a few mishaps along the way, nothing that a seam ripper couldn’t sort though! So here’s the finished result!
There are definitely lots of things I learnt along the way. In the course we used normal lining for the blind, however I decided to use black out lining this time. Due to the way the blind is made, the edging is only in the main fabric and so this part lets the light in. Also when using the black out lining it was difficult to determine which sides were right and wrong! After a bit of searching on the web I found that the ‘rubbery’ side was the wrong side. Where the sewing machine pierces the black out fabric when sewing it leaves tiny holes, therefore letting light in! I have read you can buy a pen to fill the holes in so will have to invest in one!
I have a bit of left over fabric and can feel another project coming on…!