On Sunday I spent the day with my mum at the Mostyn store of Abakhan. I went with a specific list of what I needed, as previous visits have resulted in impulse buying and mounds of fabric not being used. My main inspiration for the trip was the Great British Sewing Bee book. I bought the book after seeing the first episode and after a quick flick through, I couldn’t wait to start trying the projects!
A while ago at a vintage fair in York I bought this dress
It has been sat in my wardrobe since then, occasionally being brought out a longingly looked at. I have not yet been able to wear it as I am unable to fit into it. Now you may wonder why I bought it if it didn’t fit, however I really couldn’t leave it there, it is made from a gorgeous Liberty fabric and it is so me! The only part that doesn’t fit is around my chest at the back where the zip wont do up. The rest fits perfectly and looks lovely! Read the rest of this entry
So today I attempted to sew a dress I had seen at Kojodesigns, similar to one sold in GAP. I had bought some lovely material I had scavenged from Abakhans and set to work!
I found that I deviated from the tutorial as I was struggling with the lining part of the dress, so ended up making it up as I went along! The main thing I struggled with was doing the darts in the front piece of fabric. I also made a few errors in the size of the fabric, so ended up putting a bit of elastic in the front piece as well as the back. All in all though I don’t think it turned out too bad, and at least I have learned lots for my next try!
I still have a lot of fabric left over, so thinking of giving this maxi dress a go!